Discharging Debt In Bankruptcy
“What types of debts can be discharged in bankruptcy?” This is one of the most common questions asked by people we discuss debt relief with every day. And it’s a very good question!
Unsecured debt, as listed below, can be discharged in Chapter 7 bankruptcy or modified under Chapter 13. Secured debt cannot be completely eliminated, but it can often be modified or reduced, depending on the type and value of the secured assets. Tax debts can be eliminated or modified. The proper use of bankruptcy to discharge your unsecured debt allows you and your family the disposable income necessary to repay more important debt obligations, such as your mortgage, rent and car payment. It also allows you to reallocate limited financial resources to rebuild your financial future with the stability necessary for long-term financial security.
Unsecured, or dischargeable debt, is any of the following:
- Credit card debt
- Divorce debt (properly utilized, Chapter 13 can sometimes be used to alter unpayable divorce decrees)
- Foreclosure deficiencies
- Tax debt (if old enough under several factors)
- Medical debt
- Gambling debt
- Co-signed and joint debts
- Repossession deficiencies
- Pay day loan debt
- Personal loans
- Business debt
- Personal guarantees
With the assistance and knowledge of our debt relief lawyers at The Law Offices of Neil Crane, you can benefit from the opportunities available under the law to discharge your burdensome debt load with a well-planned, well-informed strategy that is the best possible resolution in your particular situation. Discharging debt through Chapter 7 bankruptcy will allow you to completely eliminate these debts and gain a financial fresh start.
Finding a Bankruptcy to Fit Your Needs
Every type of bankruptcy is unique. We take a comprehensive, holistic approach to our clients’ debt issues. We will work with you to understand the full extent of your debts, your income and your goals for the future. That way, we can help you select the type of bankruptcy that best meets your needs such as:
- Chapter 7 bankruptcy tax relief so you can get a fresh start and discharge older taxes and unsecured debts
- Chapter 13 bankruptcy tax relief to help you create a three- to five-year payment plan for all types of taxes
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy tax relief for businesses to reorganize their taxes and other debts
- Chapter 20 tax relief, which uses both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 to maximize your debt relief
We also have the knowledge and experience to help you stop and remove tax liens, levies, garnishments and seizures.
Qualifying for Debt Discharge
Under the bankruptcy law, people seeking relief under Bankruptcy now must qualify to enjoy the total benefit of discharged debt. Our Bankruptcy experience will assure that you get the best possible chance to qualify for full debt relief under the bankruptcy law in order to provide you and your family with a complete discharge of all debt.
To maximize your chances for total debt relief, you need to rely on counsel that is fully specialized and knowledgeable in the intricacies of the “Median Income” and “Means Testing Requirements of the Bankruptcy Law. Through hard work and the assistance of good clients, we have navigated through the new income requirements and successfully completed more than 3,000 Connecticut cases since the new law began. At the Law Offices of Neil Crane, we’ve used our hard work and dedication to become the largest providers of debt relief in Connecticut.
The Automatic Stay
When you file for any type of bankruptcy, an automatic stay goes into effect. This stay puts a stop to all collection actions against you. This includes collection efforts by the IRS or DRS such as:
- Wage garnishment
- Seizure of assets
- Liens on property
- Civil actions to collect tax debts
All creditors you declare as part of your bankruptcy will be barred from pursuing compensation from you during the bankruptcy process. It will prevent all harassing phone calls from creditors or other debt collection practices. This can give you the breathing room you need to assess your debts and create a plan to affordably pay tax debts and other obligations.
Tax Debt Treatment in Bankruptcy
All tax debts, whether they are federal, state or local, are subject to modification in bankruptcy. This means that you will be able to negotiate for lower interest rates, better payment plans and payment restructuring. As skilled negotiators, we can help you develop a plan to get your tax debt under control. We have assisted clients with offers in compromise, installment agreements and other tax solutions at every level.
Why Choose Us for Debt Relief?
At The Law Offices of Neil Crane, we offer an attorney-driven debt relief program that has provided solutions for thousands of Connecticut residents since 1983. With six attorneys and a combined experience of over 100 years, our dedicated professionals know what has worked in the past and the current status of the most recent developments in consumer debt protection. Put our knowledge and experience to work for you and your family. We’ve done it for thousands of families and it will work for you, too.
We employ a program of careful and complete analysis with industry-best preparedness and persistent advocacy on behalf of our thousands of Connecticut success stories. Your creditors will immediately respond with a new and negotiable attitude from the first moment we become involved on your behalf. We use our experience to create a customized program based on Analysis, Preparation and Advocacy.
- ANALYSIS: Obtaining the best results requires the experience and dedication to properly analyze a client’s budget and debt relief needs. We offer all clients an unlimited initial consultation with an experienced attorney at no charge. This will produce a proper and proven game plan, customized to your income and debt relief needs.
- PREPARATION: We combine our knowledge of the law along with our experience to properly prepare to do battle on your behalf. We know that creating a properly prepared plan is the key to forcing creditors to negotiate a debt relief plan that will really work for you. Taking control away from creditors and empowering you as a borrower is critical to your long-term success. We don’t wait for their solutions, but instead create solutions and back them with the facts, figures, evidence and documentation to support and the correctness of our customized debt relief plan.
- ADVOCACY: Once we’ve properly evaluated, authorized and prepared the proper plan for your success, we use our knowledge and experience to strongly advocate for a debt solution that works permanently for you. In over 15,000 cases, we’ve built a reputation for thoroughness and endless persistence on behalf of our clients.
Creditors, debt collectors and their attorneys know and respect our work. These hard-earned long-term relationships put our reputation to work for you. No creditor can match our persistence, our endless commitment to our clients and our debt relief solutions.
Contact a Connecticut Bankruptcy Attorney
We offer a free initial consultation to help you determine your eligibility and evaluate the proper path in your unique situation. Call us today at 203-230-2233 or complete our online contact form. When you call us, you will always speak to an attorney. We do not use voicemail. We are committed to providing excellent service and legal protection. Find out more about What happens after Bankruptcy