Law Offices of Neil Crane in Ridgefield, Connecticut
Get a FREE Consultation!
An essential guide to bankruptcy law in Ridgefield, CT
The Law Offices of Neil Crane is a legal firm that focuses on bankruptcy law and debt relief. The bankruptcy lawyers at our Ridgefield office provide quality legal advice for individuals, families and firms throughout the Danbury area.
Are you struggling with debt? If you need to learn all your options, you should consult with one of our bankruptcy and debt relief attorneys.
What does a bankruptcy lawyer do?
People who file for bankruptcy do so because they are in financial trouble, so it’s only natural that they look for ways to save money, and wonder if they should even hire a bankruptcy lawyer in the first place. While some people choose to file on their own, these Courts require the full efforts of experienced legal representation.
Hiring a lawyer to handle the case for you will actually save you money and a great deal of trouble, aggravation, and perhaps cause you to lose assets that could have been protected with proper legal advice. No lawyer or client should use the Federal Court system unless they understand all the nuances and standards to fully execute and complete a successful case.
All bankruptcy law is complex, is a specialized legal practice with specific requirements, documentation, legal principals and deadlines. Even the most straightforward cases should only be handled by an experienced bankruptcy lawyer who has an intimate working knowledge of the process and all its details.
If you hire a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy lawyer, this is what you should expect from them:
- Your lawyer should be able to answer all your questions about the applicable laws, as well as all the details of what will occur while your case is pending and the best advice for your future recovery.
- Your lawyer should fully prepare all your Court paperwork with a commitment to a precise result before any bankruptcy filing.
- They should represent you in hearings without your need to be present.
- They should keep you regularly updated on the status of your case before and after your filing.
Finding a bankruptcy attorney
Finding lawyers is relatively easy, but choosing a sophisticated expert with local experience and a true commitment is the critical first step in a successful path to recovery. There are several effective ways to find a bankruptcy lawyer, from seeking word-of-mouth referrals to online searches.
It is essential to find an attorney who has a long-term history of success and a full understanding of bankruptcy laws in Connecticut; someone who focuses on the chapter of the Bankruptcy Code that applies to you, be it 7, 11 or 13. At the Law Offices of Neil Crane, we have filed over 15,000 successful cases under 7, 11 and 13.
Qualities you should look for in a bankruptcy attorney
Your bankruptcy attorney should have the following qualities necessary to complete your case effectively:
- Experience: Specialized experience is the most important quality to look for. Experience in bankruptcy laws customs and all procedures makes the difference between a perfect bankruptcy case and an unsuccessful one.
- Complete, up-to-date knowledge of all the laws, programs and precise procedures that aren’t available in a book or known to out-of-state companies or non-specialized attorneys. In addition to a complete knowledge of all the laws, a truly specialized bankruptcy attorney will know what happens in Court every week. Lots of the rules of Bankruptcy practice are not in books – they are the product of experience.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills: Your attorney should listen carefully to all your questions and concerns and answer them thoroughly and definitively to your complete satisfaction prior to any bankruptcy filing. All clients have a right to understand their case, and the entire process to a perfect outcome.
The Ridgefield location of The Law offices of Neil Crane is located along Main Street in Ridgefield, Connecticut. Our lawyers go to this location by appointment only. Please call us to book an appointment before coming to this location
Photo: Squantz Pond State Park in Danbury, CT
Benefits of working with a bankruptcy lawyer
Don’t try to file for bankruptcy on your own, working with a bankruptcy lawyer will provide you with numerous benefits, including:
- Perfect planning: filing for bankruptcy requires a lot of planning, which can only be properly done with the guidance of a specialized bankruptcy attorney. The planning includes carefully considering whether other debt-relief options might suit you better, and working to formulate a full plan from start to conclusion to qualify you for the best Chapter of Bankruptcy, under Chapter 7, 11, or 13 bankruptcy.
- Preparation: Before you file, there will be a volume of detailed paperwork needed for submission, such as income records, bank statements expenses, tax returns, and other paperwork. A missed answer or the smallest mistake done on your own can cause a loss of assets, lawsuits, or send you back to square one, which is why you need a specialized bankruptcy lawyer to file under any Chapter of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Representation at hearings: Bankruptcy lawyers will represent you at the creditors’ meeting and any required hearings. A lawyer will know all the requirements you must meet for full debt relief before the case is ever filed, and will be certain to protect your interests and all your assets throughout every step in the process. Perfect preparation makes a perfect case. Every case should be 100% predictable from start to finish.
- Assuring the closing of your case: A specialized bankruptcy lawyer will be able to prepare, complete and submit all final documentation necessary to close your case completely within 90-110 days.
- Post-bankruptcy advice: Experienced bankruptcy counsel can advise you on how your bankruptcy will affect your credit and guide you in rebuilding it responsibly and effectively. A specialized bankruptcy firm will also always be available to answer your future questions and assist your post-bankruptcy recovery, so experts with a long Connecticut history are your best choice for expert legal representation.
5 questions to ask when vetting candidates
As you communicate with attorneys during your search, the following five questions will help you learn the essentials about good counsel and determine whether you have found the right attorney for you:
- How long have you been a bankruptcy lawyer, and how much of your practice is dedicated to bankruptcy cases?
- Have you had cases similar to mine?
- Is filing for bankruptcy my only option?
- What should I expect in my case from start to finish?
- What type of personal bankruptcy should I file for?
If you live in the Danbury/Ridgefield area, and need the help of a bankruptcy lawyer, contact The Law Offices of Neil Crane to schedule a free consultation.
Services at this location
Credit Card Debt Relief
Small Business Bankruptcy
Hours at this location
*by appointment only
|Monday||9:00am to 5:00pm*|
|Tuesday||9:00am to 5:00pm*|
|Wednesday||9:00am to 5:00pm*|
|Thursday||9:00am to 5:00pm*|
|Friday||9:00am to 5:00pm*|
James B. Heffernan
The Law Offices of Neil Crane has a main office in Hamden, Connecticut, as well as 4 other locations across Connecticut. Below are links to each office location. Before visiting one of our office locations, please call us at 203-230-2233 to schedule an appointment. Your time is valuable to us and we want to be available for you when you come into one of our offices.