You can modify a wage garnishment to a lower amount but it requires the filing of paperwork in court and attending a court hearing to prove the garnishment amount is causing an undue hardship. Only the filing of a bankruptcy either Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 will stop a wage garnishment immediately.

Learn more about Bankruptcy options to prevent Wage Garishments