The Law Offices of Neil Crane has been providing care, solutions and guidance on debt since 1983.  Call our office or submit a chat form today.

Yes, but only if you have full and documented authority to act on behalf of your ex-spouse. While Divorce Decrees often call for the transfer of marital homes to one spouse or the other, this does not separate the transferring spouse legally from the mortgage holder. That legal connection still continues with the bank, regardless of the Divorce Decree, meaning that the bank won’t adjust or address any mortgage problem without the consent and active participation of the ex-spouse – A condition that can be fatal to any efforts to speak with or modify your mortgage after your divorce.

To properly protect your future, obtain a fully documented Power of Attorney before the end of your divorce action. This will allow you complete authority to control the full interest of y our house and negotiate with your mortgage holder far into the future without any consent or involvement from your ex-spouse.   Read more about Divorce and Bankruptcy Proceedings