When you fail to pay real estate taxes, the town can bring an action to take your home. Likewise, if your business fails to pay personal property taxes, the state can seize the business’s property. If you have received notice of unpaid taxes, it is essential that you act quickly to resolve the issue before your home or property is taken away.

Taxes for real estate and personal property are assessed and collected by the city or town where you reside. To effectively and efficiently resolve your tax debt issues, you need a local attorney who knows how to handle tax concerns where you live.

The Law Offices of Neil Crane, LLC, has office locations in Hamden, New Haven, Bridgeport, Ridgefield, Waterbury and Rocky Hill. We have the local insight and knowledge to help you resolve tax concerns with your city and town. We don’t simply look at your debt issues from a local perspective, however. We provide comprehensive debt relief services. If your debt issues extend beyond real estate or personal property taxes, we can advise you on all your options, including Chapter 7Chapter 13Chapter 11 and other debt relief solutions.

Speak to a lawyer about getting the tax debt relief you need. Contact us online, or call us at 203-230-2233 for a free initial consultation.

Unpaid Real Estate Taxes

When you fail to pay real estate taxes, your local tax office will send you a notice of the amount you owe and any penalties for late payment. Overdue taxes will yield interest against you at a rate of 1.5 percent per month. If there are unpaid taxes, a lien will be placed on your property. It attaches your debt to your property similar to a mortgage, but it will actually be placed in front of your existing mortgage(s). This lien, including all fees, penalties and interest, will be foreclosed or will need to be paid in full before you can sell your property.

Given that an individual, family or business can stay on a property for years, the tax office can take further steps to collect on the debt you owe. This includes:

  • Obtaining a tax warrant to seize or levy your property
  • Bringing a collection action against you in civil court
  • Foreclosing on your property through summary foreclosure, outside of the judicial system

Our attorneys can help you avoid foreclosure and resolve your debt issues before your local tax office. We can also protect your interests in a civil action and in other collection actions.

Personal Property Tax in Connecticut

Every year, Connecticut businesses are required to pay personal property taxes to their local tax office. Personal property is any piece of property that is movable and not permanently attached to real estate. For personal property tax purposes in Connecticut, this includes business-owned:

  • Fixtures
  • Unregistered motor vehicles, including snowmobiles
  • Furniture and office equipment
  • Machinery
  • Horses

Each year, a business must submit a Personal Property Declaration. If you fail to file or pay this tax, the business will be charged a percentage-based penalty and interest. The local tax assessor has the power to audit a business’s personal property. If the property was omitted from the declaration, it can also result in a percentage-based penalty and interest.

Contact Our Connecticut Tax Relief Attorneys

We know how to resolve your tax concerns, and we can assist you at any stage of your case. Whether you have received notice of a collection action, seizure or foreclosure, call us today at 203-230-2233, or contact us online. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your rights, your options and solutions to your debt problems.